- Tula Pink Quilt - an original design by Marie (quilted by Wendy Tomes)
- Basket Quilt - by Diana
- "A Sunburnt Country" - entry for Rotary Textile Challenge - also by Diana
- Scandinavian Quilt - an original design by Michelle
- Plus Baby Quilt - by Lauren
- Hand pieced quilt - by Kat
Sunday, 11 September 2016
Some lovely Show and Tell photos from our August meeting:
At our July meeting, TMQG President Helen Stubbings (Quarter Inch) gave us an informative talk about preparing quilts for exhibitions. This information was very helpful to those of us feeling a bit nervous about entering quilts in a quilt show for the first time.
Helen's tips included:
Helen's tips included:
- take full size and close up photos of your quilt
- remove all loose threads, marks and pet hair
- prepare a hanging sleeve according to the requirements of the exhibition
- to avoid bad creases, fold your quilt with the outside out and make the first fold horizontal
- bags should have easy to read labels and preferably be made using french (enclosed) seams which means no loose threads!
Some judges will give a written critique but this is not usual in Australian Quilt Shows. Judges often adjudicate according to the following criteria:
- colour, balance, design and quilting - is it in proportion and complimentary?
- is the quilt square - does it lay flat?
- a full binding which is evenly stitched on
- no threads or fibres caught under seams
- all threads buried (or lock stitch)
- proper tension
- "pointy" points with seams neatly aligned
- no visible marking lines
- straight sashing
- applique/hand stitching well executed
Then it was time for our Show and Tell and there was plenty of beauty and inspiration to be found this month!
- Vintage Revival Quilt by Lauren - her first FMQ Quilt!
- Improv. baby Quilt by Lauren
- "The Hulk" - Framed pattern (by Bonnie and Camille) by Lauren
- Batman Plus Quilt - also by Lauren
- "Tree of Right or Wrong" Art Quilt by Wendy
- President's Challenge "Modern Embroidery meets Modern Quilting" by Faye
- "Twice" Quilt by Shirley (so called because she made a mistake on it - twice!)
- Civil War Legacies by Michelle
- Quilt (Leonie Bateman Design) - also by Michelle
- Submission for the Adelaide Machine Quilting Festival (AMQF) by Kat - took 480 hours to make!
- QAYG Bias Binding Quilt - by Kat
- Quilt involving 3876 pieces - also by Kat
- Gravity Quilt Top - by Selina